When I decided I was going to update our hallway I knew the builder-grade ‘boob’ lighs had to go. I found a few ways to update ‘boob’ lights – as they call them in blogland- but I thought the way John and Sherry from Young House Love did it would work for our space.
We basically just took off the glass pendant and used the rest of the hardware to hang some drum shades.
However, I didn’t want just white drum shades so I covered them in fabric. I found some grey patterned fabric that would tie into the valences at the end of the hallway.
I followed these instructions and started by turning the shade on its side and matching up the seam of the shade to the beginning of my fabric like this
Then I drew a line an inch and a half from the top and bottom of the shade to give ample fabric to work with
Then I rolled the shade over and over and continued drawing the line top and bottom until the seam of the shade came back around. I then had my fabric template that I used to cut the other 2 pieces of fabric since I had 3 light fixtures.
Then I used my hot glue gun to glue the end of my fabric to the line of the seam of the shade leaving the excess fabric at top and bottom. I then used small binder clips to wrap the fabric around my shade on one side:
I then brought my shade outside and used spray adhesive to attached the fabric to the shade. I just lifted some of the fabric from the bottom (the part that wasn’t clipped down) and light sprayed the adhesive and then smoothed out any kinks. After the whole shade was sprayed I brought it inside and hot glued the end of the fabric by folding over the excess fabric and making it look cleaner:
I then added a small amount of hot glue right at the base of the wire frame on the top and the bottom and immediately folded over my fabric. I pressed down into the nook of the wire frame and held until secure and the glue started to cool
When the glue was dry, I cut the access fabric from the top and the bottom:
I then glued white ribbon along the fabric to make it looks more seamless.
This is what it looked like from the inside when I was done with the ribbon.
I then used the existing rod from the ‘boob’ light to attach the drum shade. I had to add a washer and 2 nuts in order for the shade to fit on there properly but it worked out great. Again- sorry I don’t have pictures of this step but Nick was out of town when I put these up.
Here is a picture that hopefully explains how I put the shade up.
The silver base, light bulb, the rod, and the cap were all left over from the ‘boob’ light. I added the washer to hold the nuts up because if I didn’t add the nuts, the shade would not be flush with the silver base. I had to add the nuts to bring the shade up closer to the ceiling. After I added the washer and the nuts I just caped off the rod with the round cap that kept the original glass cover on.
Here is a picture of the original light with the round cap.
Sorry if those instructions were hard to follow, just ask if you need clarification!
Here’s what they looked like all light up.
After adding the 3 new drum shades, our hallway was finally complete and I love it!!